Welcome to the home of Byggvir's Big Beer Cup, the Minnesota Renaissance Festival's Home Brew Competition. This contest is sponsored by the Minnesota Home Brewers.
Byggvir's Big Beer Cup will be accepting entries of historic, English, and European beer, mead, and cider styles from August 18 through September 7, 2014 at Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, Still H2O, and Brew and Grow.
Judging will be on-site at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival on Saturday, September 20 and Sunday, September 21, 2014.
We at Byggvir's Big Beer Cup are very excited to announce that Mike Hoops from Minneapolis Town Hall has been generous enough to offer to brew the best beer of Byggvir's at Town Hall Brewery! Rules for this prize:
- Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery reserves the right to select "Brewers Choice" from the Best of Show round of judging. Brewers Choice may or may not be the Best of Show Winner. No meads, ciders, or sour beers will be considered.
- Brewers Choice will be brewed at Town Hall Brewery within the next calendar year. It will be served on tap at Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery the following August.
- The award winning brewer is welcome and encouraged to join the brew session with Head Brewer Mike Hoops at Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery at his/her own expense.
- Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery plans to enter the beer in the GABF PRO-AM Competition. Town Hall Brewery will pay the entry fee and provide 2 Passes to the GABF. The winning brewer will be responsible for travel expenses to Denver (airfare, hotel, food, etc.)
- See rules for GABF Pro Am at www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com
Byggvir's is also excited to announce that Tim Roets from Sponsel's Minnesota Harvest Orchard Winery in Jordan will also offer to scale up a home meadmaker or cidermakers's recipe for production at the winery.
- Sponsel's Minnesota Harvest Orchard Winery reserves the right to select "Apfelvintner's Choice" from the Best of Show round of judging in the cider and mead categories. The "Apfelvintner's Choice" may or may not be the Best of Show Winner.
- The recipe will be scaled up within the next calendar year. It will be served at the Orchard Tasting Room in Jordan, and may also be available in bottles, depending on ingredients, and production level. Law requires us to use more than 50% Minnesota product, so some recipes may need to be modified to achieve those guidelines.
- The award winning cider/meadmaker is welcome and encouraged to join in with the process with Vintner Tim Roets at Minnesota Harvest at his/her own expense.
- The winner will be announced at the awards ceremony at Minneapolis Town Hall.